Tuesday 8 January 2013

Collage Obsession ' Man'

         Collage Obsession Challenge


This weeks collage obsession challenge was the theme of ' Man ' a serious challenge, and I must say a good one as being hoisted out my comfort zone is an excellent thing. I worked in my usual mediums of torn paper, gesso, acrylic paint, watercolour paint and gilt foil, and also used some modelling paste to form the suns tendrils. I wanted the sun to look rather organic hence the tendrils of sunlight.


The Leonardo da Vinci Vitruvian man is a hugely iconic image, and I wanted to combine it  with one of my favourite painters interpretation of the work, William Blakes' Albion, or glad day'. The figure Albion being the  personification of humanity, rejoicing in freeing himself from the shackles of materialism. William Blake was an  influential British painter and poet born in 1751 and I have always been fascinated by his dark romantic symbolism.


Laying on paper layers

 I printed out the image and began to alter it using first paper and then washes of watercolour.

adding gesso and modelling paste

Then used gesso and modelling paste medium to build up texture, finally finishing with acrylic paint ....I know over the next few days I'll fiddle about adding more texture, I sometimes find it difficult to know when to put down the paintbrush, so I would love to hear your comments on if you think he needs more work....

9 comments:

  1. You might say you were out of your comfort zone, but you certainly weren't out of your creative zone. This is so beautiful, and I am so in love with your collage/mixed media style. This is beautiful.
    I love Blake's metaphysical style of poetry and painting. And what can one say of Da Vinci. Words can't express.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jez, as always your lovely comments are really encouraging. I did find this a challenge and its lovely to get such positive feedback. :)

      Delete
  2. This would be WAY out of any zone I could fathom. It's a fabulous piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much..although as I say i am much happier in a world of fairies and flowers. :)

      Delete
  3. Great work! I love how you combined modelling paste and newspaper scraps in the rays of the sun. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! I LOVE the way you incorporated Da Vinci's image into your vibrant collage. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Arnoldo, So glad you like my collage :)

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by, I love to hear from you.